Friday, March 21, 2008

The REAL Easter story...

Well today brings us to Good Friday. (I still can't believe Easter is upon us already, so not ready for it really, mentally that is...)

I wonder if you all know what Easter is *really* about.
Forget the bunny.
Forget the egg hunt.
Even forget the chocolate (although it does taste great!).
Don't you know its really all about JESUS!!

JESUS!!

God manifest into a man. Easter was the whole reason He even came to Earth. A real glimpse into the true heart of my great God.

If you don't know what happened today many many years ago, here's a brief run down:

Jesus Christ if Nazareth had been preaching the Good News, sharing Love and healing in the name of God! The high priests did not like this one bit, so they plotted to get rid of Jesus. One of his own disciples, Judas was the one they needed to get to him. Judas was paid for his time of course (and a terrible show of what the love of money can do) - and he betrayed his friend and our Saviour for it. Jesus was arrested, trialled and sentenced to be crucified.
He was mocked (because He was called the King of Kings) - they placed a crown of thorns around His head, a purple robe on Him and then spat on Him. They beat and whipped Him... then they hammered nails into his wrists and ankles and hung him up on a cross to die...

Do you know that He was innocent? (the only man ever to have never sinned)

And do you know that He did that all for YOU!! Yes, you.
Jesus Christ of Nazareth, son of God died so that you and I could have eternal life, through Him!!

WOW!!

It makes me realise just how much God loves me! Can you imagine Him having to see His son go through that? It says in the Bible that the sky went dark when Jesus died - I think God was pretty upset! BUT He gave his only begotten son so that WE could have eternal life! Amazing! Something that I know I do not deserve, but a gift that I thankfully receive!

But that's not the end of the story...

In three days time (Easter Monday), some women were visiting Jesus' tomb. But instead they were greeted with an angel of the Lord telling them that Jesus was not there! How it that so? Well, get this!!
HE HAD RISEN FROM THE DEAD!!
Oh yeah!! Awesome huh.

So that's what Easter is about. The choccy eggs are a symbol of new life, because just like Christ, when you give your heart to Jesus, when you say 'Yes Jesus, I want you to be Lord of my life! I repent of all my sins and I ask that you come and live in me!' - you are given a new life!

If you want to read about it in the Bible (go on, I'm sure there's one lying around somewhere!), have a look in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. For starters.
Read from Matthew 26.
Have a read from Mark 14.
From Luke 22 the story is also told.
And in the book of John, read from chapter 17.

Acts 1 tells us of the glorious encounter when Jesus was taken up to Heaven, to sit at the right hand of the Father.

And Romans 6 will tell you a little about your new life in Christ.

Have a blessed Easter weekend, and may you and your family reflect on the REAL reason!!

3 comments:

Wisdom.Courage.Love said...

Amen!!

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen girl!
He is alive!
Love you!!!!
Lus x

Leanne said...

Alleluia!!!

Leanne xoxo